Ridge Gourd Curry / Heerekai Palya
Healthy and Tasty Ridge Gourd curry (Heerekayi Palya / HireKayi Palya / HeereKai Palya) with a nice aroma of the ground dry masala. Thanks to one of my friends from whom I learnt this!!!!
1. Chop ridge gourd, onion and tomato separately into small pieces.
2. Soak chana dal for 15-20 minutes.
3. Take a pan and make a seasoning of mustard, urad dal and channa dal.
4. To the seasoning on a medium to low flame add onion and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add chopped tomato stir fry for a couple of minutes.
6. Now add ridge gourd and the soaked chana dal.
7. Close the lid of the pan and let it cook for 5-6 minutes.
8. In a small blender jar add the desiccated coconut, jeera, garlic and ginger piece and give it a rough grind.
9. Add salt to taste and now add the ground mixture to the ridge gourd and give a good mix.
10. Cover the lid and cook for 3-4 minutes more and switch off.
11. Ridge gourds curry is ready, goes well with rice or chapatti.